Let the bells ring

So many of our participants are new so I thought that this week I would show and tell you one small bit of our history.  For those that have been with us nearly from the beginning will remember this and hope that you add your comments to help round out my story.  This is about how we were a group of friends, knowing each other only through blogging and The Friday Shoot-out, but caring about one another regardless.

We, the FSO Gang, got started in the early part of 2009 and one of the original 10 or so, was Barry of An Explorer's View.  He quickly became a favorite within our group plus 600 odd followers out in BlogWorld.  Almost from the beginning, we knew he had been diagnosed with a rare throat cancer and was battling for his life.  His writing brought us in and made us care about his struggle.  We got to know his wife Linda, and his special dog, Lindsey.  The battle became very personal to us all.

During a post about one of his visits for chemo, he talked about the bell that stood outside of the hospital that was rung by patients in celebration of a completion of another round of Chemo.  The idea flew around the globe, at 2 O'clock his local time, he would ring the bell and we, wherever we were, within our own time zone, we would ring a bell with him.  Here is my ringing of the bells for Barry.

Bells for Barry, 
Coming to you from Nova Friburgo Brasil.  
by Ginger and Camillo
For more informations see: In Memory of Barry

Our weekly spotlighter is Ginger
Our next weekly theme is:
May 2: Construction - Show us the architecture of your town. Maybe even a comparison from the old to the new. Or, give us the before and after. (Ginger)





Friday My Town Shoot Out is a group blog kept going by wonderful volunteers who love the idea of sharing our home towns and visiting other places through images. We welcome you to participate in our weekly link-ups and/or get more involved as one of our volunteers.

Comments

  1. Hope to see a lot of bells rung in celebration. You wont believe this but I was unable to find a bell in this little town (well big really) This story is my contribution this week. Make your comments here. Am now going camping.... will return Sunday evening and start reading all your posts. Have a fun time with this weeks BELLS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww Barry. I sure loved the way he wrote and every time he commented it brought a smile. Lindsey has since followed Barry; she was a good little spaniel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, I am so sorry to here this. It is hard to believe that it as been nearly 4 years. How did you learn about Lindsey? Is Linda still blogging?

      Delete
    2. Linda and I are in touch through facebook. That's how I know. I don't think she's blogging anymore, but she is an upbeat, active person.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry the linky thing didn't seem to be working, You had to double click it to go to the link-up. I did it again and now seems to be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the ringing of the bells for Barry so clearly, seems just like yesterday. I remember also my sorrow when he died, so many of us had come to love him, he was a truly special person. The first time he commented on my blog I felt I'd really made it as a blogger (I was new to it all in those days.) Today is a day of remembrance here in NZ, so I add Barry to those I'm thinking of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauline. I am thinking extra special thoughts and remembrances of Barry and Lindsay today. Barry's blogging friends held such a special place in his heart, I have tears every time I come here. Crying is not good for my computer. with love, from Linda

      Delete
  5. Hi Ginger, thank you for sharing with me Barry's story. What a privilege to have known such a wonderful person. You all are keeping his memory alive. I have prepared a "celebration" post before knowing the reason behind the "Let's the Bells Ring" theme. I have a few bells in my yard, I will take some pictures and will post them later in memory of Barry. Christa

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very inspiring story. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post GV. I went back to try to find my ringing of the bells but I have since changed my blog and it must have been in the other one. The story I did is true as Barry and I discussed The Abbey of Gethsemani many times. Thanks for the update that came across in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you probably can google - "your blog title at the time" Bells for Barry and it will come up. you probably also had to use YouTube to post a video so see if you have a youtube account and look for the video. thats how I found mine.

      Delete
  8. Lovely story
    Greeting from Belgium
    ❤░W░O░N░D░E░R░F░U░L░❤
    ❤________________________❤
    And Happy Day and weekend!
    ✿ܓ✿ ♥ ✿ܓ✿

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think, in the comments below: